Tofu Scramble, roasted potatoes + avocado toast
This recipe is part of our dinner rotation once a week. It's easy and makes for great lunch leftovers the next day. You can customize it any way you like using whatever ingredients you have on hand. Just don't forget to press the tofu!
For the Tofu scramble:
2 teaspoons oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup diced onions
1 1/2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 cups destemmed kale leaves or baby spinach, finely chopped
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 package firm or extra firm tofu, pressed
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the roasted potatoes:
4-5 small yellow potatoes
1 medium sweet potato
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch (I used arrowroot powder)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoon melted coconut oil or grapeseed oil (I used avocado oil)
For the avocado toast:
Toasted sliced bread
Sea salt and black pepper
**Be sure to press your tofu for at least 15 minutes before starting recipe**
1. Make the roasted potatoes: Preheat the oven to 425. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Dice the potatoes into 1/2 inch or smaller pieces. The smaller you chop the potatoes, the faster they will cook, and the crispier they will get.
3. In a large bowl. combine the diced potatoes. the arrowroot powder, and the salt and stir to combine. Stir in the
oil and mix until thoroughly combined.
4. Spread the potatoes into an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the potatoes and bake for 15-20 more, or until crispy brown, and fork tender.
5. Make the tofu scramble: In a large wok, combine the oil, garlic, onions, and mushrooms and saute over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes until most of the liquid released by the mushrooms has evaporated. Add the bell pepper, spinach, nutritional yeast, and paprika. Stir well and continue cooking over medium-high heat.
6. Crumble the tofu and add it to the wok. Stir well to combine. Reduce the heat to medium and saute for about 10 minutes more. Season with salt, turmeric, kala namak, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
7. Make the Avocado Toast: Spread the mashed avocado on the toast. Top with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, sauerkraut and hot sauce.
**How to press tofu**:
You can buy a tofu press off Amazon but I don't have one yet.
I like to remove the blocks of tofu from packaging and slice into thirds. Then I lay sliced tofu on top of a tea towel covering a cutting board. Fold the tea towel over top of sliced tofu and place another cutting board on top of everything. Lay 3-4 heavy books on top and let tofu press for 15 minutes at least.
I don't create these recipes. For original recipe click link below ⬇️